Date: May 29, 2018
Updates from Previous Research Log 1.0 (July 9, 2017): As of this writing, not much has transpired in my research but a lot of things have happened. Although, a few of the major achievements in the past few months were the approval of my concept paper (August 31, 2017) and the constitution of my thesis panel (January 15, 2018), I have yet to work on a thesis proposal draft which I plan to write this coming June-July 2018 just in time for the start of the first semester of AY 2018-2019 in August. Below is the timeline of events and accomplishments that transpired for the last ten to twelve months of my life.
- May 16, 2017: Publication of NANG 2 where I contributed an essay on Lav Diaz and Hegel.
- June 2017: Publication of Plaridel Journal Article: Cinephiles! as Post-Zine: Cinephilia in the Age of Digital Networks.
- June 13, 2017: Submitted a draft of a book chapter for an upcoming Philippine Independent Cinema Book Project of Roland Tolentino and Aristotle Atienza
- July 8, 2017: Preparation and Submission of Checklist of Materials for Historical Research to Hazel Orencio
- July 9, 2017: First visit at Lav Diaz’s Residential Place in Marikina with Jayson Fajardo as volunteer research assistant (link). Data gathered were primarily production notebooks and filmed and unfilmed scripts (for photocopy).
- July 16, 2017: Second visit at Lav Diaz’s Residential Place in Marikina with political film archivist Rosemarie Roque and experimental filmmaker Epoy Deyto (link). Data gathered were primarily other production notebooks and Rose’s initial viewing of the collection. We also viewed raw footages of Melacholia which was shot in color!
- July 23, 2017: Meet-up with Hazel Orencio at Sta. Lucia Mall to scan some of Lav Diaz’s old family photographs. The photographs are meant to contextualize and triangulate Diaz’s personal accounts of his history.
- July 29, 2017: Submitted article to Dr. Diosa Labiste on Benham Rise for publication in the journal on Asian Politics and Policy
- August 11, 2017: Started reading Karl Marx’s Economic Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844. Started research on Dialectical Materialism, Marxist Philosophy.
- August 21, 2017: Submitted Concept Paper to Patrick Campos, my adviser
- August 31, 2017: Received comments regarding my thesis concept paper. Approval of my topic.
- September 25, 2017: Withdrawn my contribution for an upcoming book project to be published by Edinburgh University Press
- October 24, 2017: Publication of my journal article titled Deconstructing the Coverage of Benham Rise and the Territorialization of Conflict at Asian Politics and Policy Journal.
- October 26, 2017: Started reading Hegel’s Science of Logic (A. V. Miller version). First venture into Marxist philosophy.
- November 18, 2017: Partially completed basic writings of Marx.
- December 30, 2017: In-Depth Reading of Hegel’s Science of Logic and Karl Marx’s German Ideology.
- January 01, 2018: Started reading Karl Marx’s Capital Volume 1 Introduction By Ernest Mendel.
- January 15, 2018: Submitted my proposed thesis panel to UP CMC GSD.
- March 3, 2018: Devised an Work Card method to keep track of my tasks for thesis
- March 07, 2018: Arranged printed files on Lav Diaz.
- March 29, 2018: Finished reading Ernest Mendel’s introduction to Capital: Volume 1.
- May 26, 2018: Presented by paper for Marx @ 200 Conference (link)
Upcoming Tasks. My target for June and July 2018 is the proper drafting of my thesis proposal and I want this blog to be part of the process. There are several tasks abound namely (1) building extensive annotated Review of Related Literature for my proposal, (2) build an effective methodology to consolidate extant materials I already have, and (3) to write a draft of the proposal that is readable and understandable with sound arguments.